If holiday season is the time to pursuit of happiness, then February could be the month of pondering the love, if happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length; then does love lack of its wisdom since it’s full of madness? If happiness can not be measured in smile, should love be tested by hugs or kisses; if high level of happiness is as high as mountain, deep as sea, can impact of love calm the turbulent sea and transform snow mountain into green hill with sunshine and blue sky?
From Wikipedia, “Love is an emotion of strong affection and personal attachment, Love is also a virtue representing all of human kindness, compassion, and affection; and "the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another".
At Three Levels of Happiness we explore the height of happiness, here, we discover the three love essentials.
1. Platonic Love –The joy of the goodThe best proof of love is trust. Joyce Brothers
The elements of love may include the support, the trust, the truth, even the sacrifice; the madness of love maybe more about the “blindness, brainlessness or colorlessness”—it might be short-lived, the depth of love need be more about understanding, the respect, the wisdom, the fairness, the equality, and the fulfilling, love like seed, need grow, need be tested by the storms, the difficulties, and the adversities.
The Platonic love is like: the recruiting managers appreciate the raw intelligence or high potential talents, the teacher loves her students, the gardener loves his plants and flowers, or the coach loves his athletes, it’s about the nurturing, the growth, the motivation and the inspiration.
2. Universal Love –The humanityIn giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free - honorable alike in what we give and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth. Abraham Lincoln
Feb. 12th, two days ago, it’s 203rd birthday of Abraham Lincoln-one of the greatest presidents in the history, what did he teach us about the love?
Abraham Lincoln was more than a great president. He was a transcendent human being, an emancipator, he executed the power for the goodness, to maximize love via the broader vision of compassion, the wonder of wise, and innate human goodness, well reflect the essential of universal love, the humanity. Here are three quotes from Lincoln:
- Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing. Abraham Lincoln
- He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help. Abraham Lincoln
- If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee. Abraham Lincoln
3. Religious Love –The amazement of the God
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres." (1 Cor. 13:4–7, NIV)
If love between humans is still conditional love, then the religious love is unconditional.