Monday, February 5, 2024

Fu Zhou - the Capital City of Culture Enrichment and Traditionalism

People there should keep opening their minds and eyes, and reinvent Fu Zhou as a truly contemporary city with universal love and collective wisdom.

Fuzhou is the capital city of Fu Jian province which is across Taiwan geographically. It took me about two hours from Xia Men to Fuzhou by high-speed train. Fu Jian is a province that has a long ocean coast, famous mountains, and charming islands. It has natural beauty, but how about the city landscape, and quality of management, does it have the free spirit to play a critical role in advancing human society?

After arriving at the Fuzhou train station in the mid-afternoon, I was a bit frustrated about how to get to the hotel, which was across the road, not so far away. It seems there was no way for pedestrians to walk across the street. Perhaps people use the underground to pass through. Because I carried two pieces of luggage, it was hard for me to go upstairs and downstairs without elevators. It took me about an hour to pass across the road and arrive at the hotel.

On the early morning of the second day, I headed to the local scenery: Drum Mountain. There are very few tourists at that morning. It seems I was the only person who used the cable car (Funicular Railways) to climb up to the top. The mountain is not very tall, but it’s steep in the middle. It took about twenty minutes for the cable car to move up to the top of the mountain. It’s a bit scary because I am alone. I didn’t see other passengers up or down; It looked like I was the only person flying in the sky. On the top of the mountain, I visited the park called the eighteen sightseeings. As there are lots of stone stairs, I only found a couple of views. There was a giant rock; there was a stone wall with printed calligraphy; there were also pictures printed on the stone. When I took the cable cart to get down the mountain, more people were taking the cable car to climb up. That made me more relaxed and enjoying to see the landscape of the city.

Then I visited the famous tourist hot spot “three lanes seven alleys “. with deep anthropological roots and Eastern taste. There are different history and art museums, boutiques, gift shops, and eateries, very culture-enriched.

In one of the historical museums that memorize a male author half a century ago l. I saw dozens of sculptures of male figures I barely knew, there was only one female picture. That didn’t reflect the principle of “male and female are equal”. I was a bit disappointed, I just came from Europe, and there are numerous elegant female paintings and sculptures in many nations.

Fuzhou is the capital city of Fu Jian. Is Fu Jian still a very traditional province that practiced feudalism hundreds of years ago? I tasted the local snacks such as wrapped sparrow meat; which looks like wonton, I also tasted tara and peanut dessert, I walked through all seven alleys and three lanes; I hope people can practice critical thinking, capture culture quintessential and keep reinventing contemporary society.

In the mid-afternoon, I also visited the beautiful West Lake Park; it was a rainy day, and the raindrops fell into the mother river of Fuzhou, creating some ripples. I walked across the art museum, but it was closed on Monday.

I passed through the poet's memorial, the abstracted poet was an old male image sculpture. That was unfair and subjective. I was disappointed. It seems the local people's mindset was lagging behind the era we live in. The mother river was crying when she saw the old generations ignore her talented daughters and sons. The rain became a storm, cleansing the surroundings. Is it trying to awaken the soul of this city to inspire equal opportunities?

I took the bus to head back to the hotel; out of the bus window, I observed the big roads and narrow streets; there were mixed flavors of local shops. Fu Zhou, as the capital city of the province, plays a significant role in shaping modern society. It is culture enriched, also traditional, is it lagging from an anthropological perspective? People there should keep opening their minds and eyes, and reinvent Fu Zhou as a truly contemporary city with universal love and collective wisdom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment