The “Future of CIO” Blog has reached 1.1 million page views with 2300+ blog posting in 59+ different categories of leadership, management, strategy, digitalization, change/talent, etc. The content richness is not for its own sake, but to convey the vision and share the wisdom. Here is the weekly insight of the “Future of CIO” blog.
The Weekly Insight of the “Future of CIO” Blog 11/13/2015
- Is Leadership about Power or Empowerment: Power has many different formats; some visible, some invisible; some are earned, some are given; some are delightful, some are intimidating; here are a few different types of powers: position power is associated with people who are in a position to ‘boss” others. People fear the consequences of not doing what is asked of them. Expert power comes from a person’s expertise. This is commonly a person with an acclaimed skill or accomplishment. Influence power is associated with people who are well-liked and respected hold this kind of power. What’s the correlation between leadership and power? Is leadership more about power or empowerment?
- See Through Talent from Different Angles: People are always the most invaluable asset in businesses. “Hiring the right person to the right position at the right time,” is the mantra of many forward-thinking organizations. The question is how would you define the right people? How do you define wrong, average, mediocre, good, great or extraordinary person? Or put simply, for what should they be right? Traditional Performance Management focusing on measuring what an employee does (mainly being told to do) in a quantitative way is not sufficient to identify high performance or high potential, so should we see through talent from different angles?
- How to Overcome Innovation Challenges? Innovation is to manage novel ideas and generating business value from them. Even innovation is the light every organization is pursuing, but often the term "innovation" has become so diluted or meaning it is hard to have even a basic conversation about it without problems of definition or interpretation arising - and perhaps in part why all sort of things can feel like innovation - even if they are faking it. So which factors are causes to innovation failure, and how to survive from innovation fatigue and pitfalls?
- Agile IT Governance: Change is the new normal for businesses today, there are culture changes, process changes, or software change management, etc. Agile is about being able to efficiently respond to change. Various Agile methodologies exist to adopt different responses depending on the nature of the change, especially predictable unknowns, and unpredictable unknowns. Hence, governance practices need to be sufficiently informed and able to keep pace with what is going on. The joint needs of Agile projects and a commitment to IT governance will increase the extent to which a number of IT management practices have to participate in projects, with a consequent cost.
- The Change Factors that would Improve the Business Results? The speed of change is up, but the majority of Change Management effort fail to achieve the expected result. What are the top things would you change in an organization that would improve the business result? If you can imagine an organization as a garden and the people are all forms of life in it, how can you as a leader or anyone contribute to maximum balance growth inside that little patch of Planet Earth?
- Five Pieces of advice to Digital Leaders: Leadership is complex yet simple. Complexity is in that there are so many traits and characteristics that are considered when evaluating a leader. The emphasis is on trying to determine which competencies or skills should be used in which combination and with what level of weight for each, for every different situation. The simplicity comes from knowing that there is no one competency more important than the other in the larger scheme of things and that we all have leadership skills within us. There are a lot of the negative symptoms and lack of effectiveness come from a prevalent view that leadership is power, top-down and unquestionable. So what’re the best advice you could offer to the leaders?
Blogging is not about writing, but about thinking and innovating the new ideas; it’s not just about WHAT to say, but about WHY to say, and HOW to say it. It reflects the color and shade of your thought patterns, and it indicates the peaks and curves of your thinking waves. Unlike pure entertainment, quality and professional content takes time for digesting, contemplation and engaging, and therefore, it takes the time to attract the "hungry minds" and the "deep souls." It’s the journey to amplify diverse voices and deepen digital footprints, and it's the way to harness your innovative spirit.