Modern CIOs have many personas and face great challenges.
Modern CIOs are transformational leaders who play the significant role in driving changes and business digitalization. It is not sufficient to only keep the light on. Regardless of which industry or the nature of organization you are in, being a digital leader will need to master the art of creating unique, differentiated value from piles of commoditized technologies, but more specifically, what are the digital-savvy CIOs doing to run IT as a value creator and innovation engine? Here is the monthly spotlight of the CIO.
The Spotlight of Digital CIOs June 2016
- CIO as Digital Capability Builder: How Coherent are your IT Enabled Digital Capabilities IT plays a pivotal role in leading digital transformation at many forward-thinking organizations today, and IT strategy is an integral component of the corporate level digital strategy. A digital strategy has a purpose of driving customer engagement and experience as a cross-functional responsibility. Thus, the digital strategy needs to look outward with outside-in customer perspective; but the issue is that most IT departments look inward. So how effective does IT enable the business growth, and how coherent are your IT enabled digital capabilities?
- CIOs as Digital Influencer: Leveraging IT as a Business Decision Influencer: Fundamentally, the purpose of IT organization is to ensure the right information going to the right people at the right time and location in order to make the right decision. Indeed, IT is a key business decision influencer at information-explosion era, but more specifically, how does IT make an impact on the business decision, and how can IT improve business’s decision-making capabilities and effectiveness?
- CIOs as an Information Guru: Back to Basic, IT needs to Focus on Information Management: At today’s digital dynamic, information is abundant and even explosive, businesses have become over-complex also hyper-connected, Back to basic, the focal point of IT needs to focus on Information Management, what’s the correlation between data, information, and decision-making, and how to manage data- information- knowledge- insight life cycle effectively?
- CIOs as a Business “Insighteer”: How to Understand the “Three Sides of Coin”:Forward-looking organizations empower their CIOs to lead digital transformation because IT is at a unique position to oversight business process and becomes a critical component in building business capabilities. Most of the senior CIOs understand that the digital transformation of most of the organizations depends, to a large extent, on their capabilities to transform their duty from an inside-out focus into an outside-in focus. They must not just understand both sides: IT and business, but also focus on the third side: How can IT interact with both internal customers and end customers, and how can IT and business integrated into a “whole” to ensure that the holistic business is superior to the sum of pieces?
- CIOs as Change Agent How to Run IT as a Changing Organization Digital makes a significant impact on every aspect of the business from people, process to technology and capability. IT plays a pivotal role in digital transformation. Given the power of SMAC technologies and abundance of information to fuel business innovations, how does a CIO make the multitude of digital influence, like a Pro?
The “Future of CIO” Blog has reached 1.3 million page views with about #2800th blog posting in 59+ different categories of leadership, management, strategy, digitalization, change/talent, etc. The content richness is not for its own sake, but to convey the vision and share the wisdom. Blogging is not about writing, but about thinking and innovating the new ideas; it’s not just about WHAT to say, but about WHY to say, and HOW to say it. It reflects the color and shade of your thought patterns, and it indicates the peaks and curves of your thinking waves. Unlike pure entertainment, quality and professional content takes time for digesting, contemplation and engaging, and therefore, it takes the time to attract the "hungry minds" and the "deep souls." It’s the journey to amplify diverse voices and deepen digital footprints, and it's the way to harness your innovative spirit.