Information Management is 'powerful' and 'worthy' to an organization and becomes the digital brain of an organization.
Modern CIOs have many personas and face great challenges. It is not sufficient to only keep the light on. Regardless of which industry or the nature of organization you are in, being a digital leader will need to master the art of creating unique, differentiating value from piles of commoditized technologies. Digital transformation starts with mind shift, business value has to be driven, indicated and understood at all levels of the organization. This is accomplished by establishing strong interdependent relationships, the shared vision, and wisdom. But more specifically, what are the digital-savvy CIOs doing to make business information savvy in running IT as a digital brain of the organization.
Running IT as Digital Brain of the Organization Sep. 2016
- Running Digital IT with Highly Cognitive Connectivity? Digital is about flow, data flow, information flow, idea flow, and mind flow. IT organization today is like the digital brain of the organization, because information is used to educate, inform and provide decision making for people who use it; the business insight abstracted from information can help the business develop the next products or services to delight customers, predict future trends for exploring market share; as well as make data-based talent analysis to ensure the right people are in the right position with the right capabilities to solve the right business problems. To put briefly, running digital IT with highly cognitive connectivity will become a competitive advantage for building a high-intelligent and highly effective digital business?
- Information Management as a Thresholding Competency of Digital IT Nowadays information is the lifeblood of the organization, all forward-looking organizations claim they are in the information management business, managing information and the information position of an organization is what ought to be called Information Management. Information Management is to make sure that the right information is in the right place at the right time and shared to the right persons for making the right decisions. IT is often the information steward of the business, and information management is a thresholding competency for running a digital IT.
- INFORMATION-Driven IT is a Strategic Shift: The tension between 'business' and IT has been around forever, but instead of getting better, it has gotten worse in the last couple of years. The reason is that digital has become ’normality’, and almost everyone now feels at ease with digital technology. In other words, the natural knowledge advantage of the IT department has eroded. So what’s IT's digital advantage?
- Information Management as Differentiator between Digital Master and Digital Laggard: Information is the most valuable commodity individuals and organizations produce in the digital environment in which they currently function. Nowadays, organizations large or small, collect an enormous amount of data. Data is a raw material, information is processed data, information only has a value when it is needed. When businesses manipulate information in meaningful ways which give you something to interpret and utilize, then you have established the value from the information you get. Therefore, Information Management is a key differentiator between digital master and digital Laggard?
- How Important an Information System can be in Digital Business Success? At industrial era, the majority of IT organizations are supporting function to keep the business light on; the cost center to maintain legacy applications & infrastructure; and the gatekeeper to control status quo. Nowadays IT and its value implication to the business have changed drastically; information becomes the lifeblood of digital business, and digital technology is lightweight but more powerful than ever. The question is –How important an information system can be in today, can you separate technology from an information system in order to achieve the intended results? And how to make Information Management as 'powerful' and 'worthy' to an organization as possible?
The “Future of CIO” Blog has reached 1.5 million page views with about #3100th blog posting in 59+ different categories of leadership, management, strategy, digitalization, change/talent, etc. The content richness is not for its own sake, but to convey the vision and share the wisdom. Blogging is not about writing, but about thinking and innovating the new ideas; it’s not just about WHAT to say, but about WHY to say, and HOW to say it. It reflects the color and shade of your thought patterns, and it indicates the peaks and curves of your thinking waves. Unlike pure entertainment, quality and professional content takes time for digesting, contemplation and engaging, and therefore, it takes time to attract the "hungry minds" and the "deep souls." It’s the journey to amplify diverse voices and deepen digital footprints, and it's the way to harness your innovative spirit.