Saturday, December 23, 2023

Gain an In-depth Understanding of London via Visiting Downtown Colleges

In the college campuses, we can see the growth of the next generation; the power of youth. Learning is ageless; we all should have an inner desire to learn and relearn, and refine our life experience.

After heading back to London in December, I visited a couple of colleges in the center of London, with the intention to learn more about advanced education and dig into the cultural roots of England anthropologically.

I appreciate the architecture design, libraries or café shops there. I sat there, observing, pondering around, reading or writing something in the academic environment with solitude. There are not so many students there during the winter break in the holiday season, but libraries still open and staff are friendly.

University of London: I went to the University of London in the morning in downtown London. Although it is the holiday season, there are still quite a few students and visitors going back and forth to the campus. There's a beautiful Christmas tree with lights standing in the center of campus. A female student was very nice, and told me the library was open until 5pm. So I went there, and asked the staff’s permission to visit there. She is also very friendly to give me some introduction and let me in warm-heartedly.

The library of UCL is like a small gallery, there are a few fine statues, paintings, the collection of references books about laws, literature, science etc, inside. There are probably dozens of study rooms, computer labs, or printing rooms inside. As right now it’s the winter break, very few students spread in the different rooms doing study in a very quiet environment. Upon the librarian's permission, I also sat down to read and write for a while. Besides me, only one female student studied in that room. Students came alone to do independent study, there are no groups of people sitting together, it is a quiet and peaceful environment. A few librarians work diligently. I also visited a café in the campus, very spacious with modern design.

The University of London has sufficient capacity for students to learn. To save energy, they could only open one or two study rooms for a handful of students and close others, so more staff could take the holiday off.

King’s College: Then I visited King’s college nearby the London Bridge. I wanted to visit the science gallery there, but unfortunately it’s still not open. I was very disappointed; as this is the second time I went there, but nobody was there and it is the Friday. I still remember last time, I did have difficulty in finding the science gallery. Ask around people who were friendly but pointing in different directions. I felt frustrated by trying different routes. Finally, there was a nice lady who works in the local shop showed me the clear direction. Up and down a couple of times I saw the sign of the science gallery. Unfortunately it was not open. The student in the King college explained it might not open on the weekend because it is not the school day. What a disappointment.

I went through the campus with a few sculptures, a café and student building with the gate locked, and the hospital building. There was a nice environment there as well.

Imperial College:
The other college in the center of London I visited is imperial college last week as I passed through there to go to the science museum and the London natural history museum. The architecture looks elegant, lots of well crafted sculptures, there are a few famous museums and landmarks nearby. Its history began with Prince Albert, consort of Queen Victoria, who developed the enriched cultural area in the neighborhood.

I sat in the student cafe to have breakfast. watching people coming in and out of campus. Even if the weather is chilly and it’s the winter break. It is still full of energy, young people keep learning, growing, developing themselves, pursuing their own interests and building solid foundations for their future professions.

In the college campuses, we can see the growth of the next generation; the power of youth. Learning is ageless; we all should have an inner desire to learn and relearn, and refine our life experience. The college campuses could be the quieter, purer world to rejuvenate our holiday spirit, especially in the winter season.

0 comments:

Post a Comment