Monday, January 1, 2024

Bristol Delight

I spent the last day of the year traveling from Bath to her sister city Bristol by bus, walking around the city center, climbing up the hills and strolling along the harbor side with swan delight..

After having brunch in the Bristol city center, I planned to go to the riverside first; I asked the directions from global strangers. But somehow, I ran in the opposite direction; climbing up to the hill because there are a few architectural buildings standing up high, caught my attention.

Visit the art museum of Bristol: I walked closer to the University of Bristol, and nearby it’s the art museum of Bristol. So I visited the museum which had the right scale of art and science sample collection, making you feel fulfilling but not overwhelming. There are western and eastern art collections; there are paintings, sculptures, stones and gems, ceramics and glassware, animal samples etc; downstairs, there are cafes and gift shops and rooms for kids activities. The Staff are friendly and the environment is harmonious.

Climb up Brandon Hill: Just as I left the museum, the rain started pouring heavily. I stepped into the cafe in a neighborhood, sipping my English tea. And I just figured out that I sat in the coffee shop of RWA the Bristol Royal West of Academy so I also visited the limited collection of art there. Then I walked across the street, trying to find the path down to the river side. But a few sidewalks only go uphill, so I decided to climb up to reach Brandon Hill. On the way to the top, the rain started pouring again mixing with icebergs; the wind was blowing strongly, even the tall trees trembling. A few people were hidden under the trees. My umbrella was almost broken, but my winter jacket was thick enough, with the hat protecting me warmly. I moved down, returned back to the street and arrived in the city hall square. The Bristol abbey was located there; the Christmas tree was lighting up with pretty decorations and quite a few people sitting inside peacefully.

Enjoy a swan delight on the harborside: I saw a signal outside of the building. with the arrow towards the riverfront. Walking about seven to eight minutes, passing through the shopping center, I approached the harbor side. What a delight! A beautiful swan swam towards me and I was the only visitor there at the moment. Fortunately, I had a bit of a sweet treat to share with her along with other birds. The swan did use her long mouth to push down other birds when they came to take a bite of the treats. Overall, they are friendly with each other. Another swan lake enlightening my Bristol trip. Walking across the riverside road. I only saw four or five swans swimming individually but the school of birds flew around actively. After a few minutes walk, I saw another small amusement park with a game arcade, and the “We Curious” science museum was just around there but the museum was not open.

Watch the Clifton suspension bridge: I asked the global strangers for help again on how to watch the Clifton suspension bridge which is one of the famous scenes here. They navigated through and suggested I take bus 8 and reach Clifton. It took me a while to find the right bus station in the city center. The bus is crowded as it passes some hot tourist spots and good residential areas. After arriving in Clifton. It seems I am in the suburbs, standing on the hill again.

It is still rainy, windy, and chilly. I walked down to the street and headed towards the direction of Clifton bridge; the rain mixed with icebergs, pouring down again, I even lost my umbrella. Hidden under the roof of a small building, I could watch over the Clifton suspension bridge on a stormy day. It costs 100 pounds for the vehicle to pass through the bridge. So no buses pass through the bridge.

It’s the mid afternoon already, with global strangers' help and my big daily ticket, I took a few buses to go back to the coach station and travel between different cities smoothly. The buses are warm and comfortable on this cold stormy winter day, making my journey more enjoyable. So I left a good memory for this end-of-the-year “bus+walking” tour in Bristol, wrapping up the old, embracing the new, taking a bath in the city of bath to welcome the upcoming new year refreshingly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment