Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Raining Day in Shen Zhen

I didn’t see the diverse people all over the world walking on the streets, colorful buses running through the cities, and magnificent museums across the metropolitan areas. However, I believe Shen Zhen has the potential to become one of the globalized cities in the future.

Shen Zhen is the city across the Hong Kong border; it took me about an hour to take the subway and then pass through the border check to revisit the city I’ve had an emotional connection with.

It was a cold rainy day, the city of Shen Zhen was decorated with flowers and lanterns as the lunar new year was only two weeks away. I had delicious rice noodle soup for lunch in one of the eateries near the border. Then I went to the walking street called East Gate in the city center. There are numerous fashion boutiques, gift shops, and restaurants on the street with Eastern cultural themes.

I planned to visit the Shen Zhen Science Museum; when I arrived there, I just knew it was closed on Monday and Tuesday, I was very disappointed. So I walked through the Shen Nan Middle Road which has many shopping malls selling electronic accessories. But I saw very few people compared to a decade ago, businesses are so-so there; are losing the steam as the electronic hub of the country.

Shen Zhen has been the special economic development zone of the nation for decades and it’s famous for its technology-related enterprises. For a few decades, young people all over the nation went there to pursue their dreams and build startups quite a while ago. Now as the entire country has developed to a certain degree, many cities are accelerating their growth in IT, manufacturing, and commercial businesses. So Shenzhen might gradually lose its advantage as an IT hub and its magnetic power to attract the brightest mindsets. Still, the city looks modern with broader streets, cool skyscrapers, and a green environment. I hope Shenzhen can make a smooth transition to becoming a more globalized city and play a critical leadership role in the digital paradigm shift.

I rose from the subway underground to the top and visited areas near the convention center which had no important show on that day. Fewer people are walking in the street than walking in the underground subway. There is no event I am interested in at the moment; but walking across the road, I can feel the pulse of a modern city and experience the convenience in contemporary society.

Still, Shen Zhen is not globalized enough like Hong Kong or London, because I didn’t see the diverse people all over the world walking on the streets, colorful buses running through the cities, and magnificent museums across the metropolitan areas. But I believe it has the potential to become one of the globalized cities in the future.

I planned to take the bus to capture the city scene. But I couldn’t find the right ones to go further. So I took the subway to go to one of the tourist hot spots Nantou ancient town. It was a park-like place with a cool walking street decorated with Eastern holiday themes. There are many culturally enriched gift stores and favorable eateries. There are lots of people walking around even though it’s a rainy day. Tourists hang around and look happy here.

I want to go back to Hong Kong by using the other border checkpoints However, I was not very familiar with the expanded city with its transportation systems. The staff in the subway station tried to help me navigate through but not sure about the exact route. So I returned back to the Luohu border I passed in the morning and headed back to Hong Kong in the midafternoon.










0 comments:

Post a Comment