Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Jane Austen Center

Shall we continue discovering our interest to learn from those ancestors, without following them blindly. So we can bridge the differences between agricultural society and contemporary world; eastern and western hemisphere; literature and science; past and future in the new year influentially.

It’s another rainy day in the bath. I planned to visit a few museums to dig deeper into literature heritage and anthropological roots in England. I walked through Broad Street, Quiet Street, and headed to Queen Square. It was raining heavily, and I lost my umbrella the other day. So I went to the coffee shop Daisy Bean to sip my English breakfast tea. It was near Jane Austen's house. After I finished my tea, I left the café and saw a few people entering the Jane Austen Centre. I asked them whether it was open, they said not yet.

I hung around in the queen’s square, and tried to find more museums nearby. When I walked across the Jane house again. What a surprise! A vivid portrait of Ms. Jane Austen stood in front of her center greeting tourists; and another gentleman who wore the top hat also stood outside the house. They are open today. It’s fantastic, a sweet new year surprise, I thought they won’t open until later this month.

I entered the gift shop on the first floor and bought the ticket to visit the center, and listened to the tour guide’s introduction about Jane’s family history and her intimate relationship with Bath in which she spent about five years in her adult life in 1797 and after. Ms Jane Austen grew up in the quiet village Steventon in England. I guess at that time Bath was an exciting town with its hustle and bustle for young people like Jane and the city Bath impacted on her writing significantly There are a few stories she wrote that reflected her life experiences in Bath, using the same street name, the people she met, etc.

I read some of Jane Austen’s novels when I was in high school; her books had been translated into different languages worldwide. Although she mainly wrote love stories in her times, her writing with sharp wit brought us the insightful perspective of social hierarchy, gender inequality, and conventional wisdom in England at that time. The title of her works are already very deep, such as “Persuasion,” “Pride and Prejudice”; “Sense and Sensitivity”; Northanger Abbey etc. I also watched quite a few TV episodes of her novels. She published her first book using the name - the Lady. The tour guides mentioned that about six thousand people come to visit her center annually and there are also seasonal cultural events such as Jane Austen festivals to carry on her heritage. I saw more ladies read their literature books in the buses or trains in Europe than any other continent. They are inspired by those talented writers in the last generations. I also review the limited collection of Jane Austen's portraits; written and video instructions about her life in Bath. Jane’s family used the mineral water of Bath to cure illness. Perhaps that’s one of the reasons Roman bath is a popular tourist spot for mineral bath treatment.

I also walked by a few areas Ms. Jane Austen used to live in Bath. The royal crescent, queen square and the green park I passed by on the first day I came to Bath. In the afternoon, I passed through the Holburne Museum, also visited the nearby Sydney garden where Jane and her family lived in the first three years when they were in Bath.

On the way back to the city center, I walked through the hills and then came down to the river walk in the pouring rain. I believe Jane also did that many times, watching the water flowing forward with its waves up and down with accelerated speed. The parade garden, on the other side of the river was not open; looking from the Pulteney bridge, it is an exquisite garden with the natural harmony of flying clouds, drizzling rain in the sky; Pulteney hill and bridge around the city; Avon river and valley on the ground.

We are inspired by different legendary stories; varying city heritages and multiple social activities. Shall we continue discovering our interest to learn from those ancestors, without following them blindly. So we can bridge the differences between agricultural society and contemporary world; eastern and western hemisphere; literature and science; past and future in the new year influentially.

0 comments:

Post a Comment